MEA Legal Services: Your Safety NetWorking in education, while a noble profession, carries with it a certain amount of risk.
No one, from veteran educators to those brand new in the profession, is immune, and one unfounded accusation or misrepresented occurrence can quickly derail a career.
That is why you need the legal safety net that comes with membership in the Maine Education Association. Here is how you are protected:
- Staff assistance and access to legal consultation if you are injured in the course of your work or need leave for health or personal reasons
- Legal representation if you face dismissal for cause
- Legal representation if you are accused of abusing a student and therefore are investigated by social workers
- Legal representation if, during the course of your school duties, you are accused of committing a crime or face criminal prosecution
- Liability insurance coverage for attorney fees and costs if you are acquitted of a criminal charge, or if those charges are dismissed
- Liability insurance coverage to pay for the defense of civil suits brought against you in the course of your work and to cover damages assessed against you in such suits
- The Attorney Referral Program, which offers discounts for legal representation in matters not related to your school employment, such as wills, real estate and traffic court matters